Updated for SP14!!
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Blue Sky Alpaca & Silk, Handmaiden Sea Silk, Cascade Venezia Worsted, Fresh From the Cauldron Silk Sock yarns. I like yarns that are soft and cozy to the touch like merinos, merino blends with bamboo, silk, cashmere are all nice - oh and of course silk and cashmere *dreamy*. I'm more into natural fibers. I do want to try yak, and buffalo gold and Quivit when I hit the lottery *giggle* I don't like scratchy yarn, I'm not a big fan of regular Cascade 220, my skin is sensative to wools and to me that is a scratchy wool for a scarf - It's good for felting, but after my plumbing issues, I doubt I'll be doing any felting for a while.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a plethora of needle and hook holders. I am actually on the hunt for some sort of neat way to display my needles at home instead of keeping them all packed away in the holders. I want to display my tools as art - after all, that is what they create!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I have been knitting for about 5 year now. My Nonna taught me when I was a little girl, but I never really took to it back then. I would say that my skill is Intermediate at this point. I have been crocheting for 20 years thought!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, I have an Amazon wishlist posted on the sidebar of my blog and I have a wishlist posted on my Ravely profile.
5. What's your favorite scent?
I have to be very careful with scents as they trigger migraines with me. Yucky! But soft, subtle scents like lavender, vanilla bean, apple orchards and very subtle ocean scents are great.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Unfortunately, yes. I would have to say my favorites are Baci, Ferrero Rocher Chocolate (the originals in the gold wrappers) , Chocolate Torrone (can only get in Italy), and Nutella. Yes, I'm Italian and like my Italian sweets :) I also love raw almonds.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I have been a crocheter for 20 years. I enjoy painting ceramics. I create Christmas wreathes as gifts. I am hoping my friend Sheila will teach me to spin this summer, I'm not looking for another hobby, just curious about it.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Wow, this is a tough one for me. I'm some what eclectic when it comes to music. I am not much for country music, heavy metal, or punk. I enjoy most of today's hip-hop, classic rock of the 70s & 80s, Elvis Presley, James Brown, Barry White, music from the 50s & 60s, Italian music (old and new), any of the great musicians (Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, etc.). Yes, I can play MP3s.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Another toughie for me because I tend to loves various shades of all colors. I guess my favorite colors would be rich teals(more blue than green), rich shades of purple, deep shades of garnet or blood red (not orange red), I am definitely a lover of winter colors for myself although a bright fuchsia or turquoise do look good on me too. I tend to stay away from pale colors as my skin is very pale and makes me look washed out. I stay away from yellows, golds, light or bright greens, and oranges.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with my kitty, Frisco, who is 13 years-old now, but I swear he still thinks he is a kitten! I have an older sister & BIL who lives 10 minutes from me and I adore my two nieces. My folks live in NY as does my younger sister & BIL and new niece.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves and berets. I haven't worn mittens in years - it might be a nice change from gloves. Fingerless gloves and arm cosies are great. I'm more of a shawl wearing woman than I am ponchos.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Really just about anything that looks interesting to me. I've knit socks, scarves, shawls, a cardigan, baby sweaters, a Christening outfit, dish cloths, baby blankets, berets and cowls. I've crochets afghans, scarves and potholders. Right now I seem to be a shawl kick for myself - trying to use up some of this sock yarn stash that is over flowing my bin!
13. What are you knitting right now?
Oh goodness, you want a list?? Juliet cardigan, 4 pairs of socks, 2 scarves, a baby sweater, 3 lace shawls and a dishcloth, . On the hooks I have 2 different afghans started and a few potholders. There may be a few UFO I've left out due to memory loss *laugh*.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes. Knowing someone put thought, time and love into creating something for me is special.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I *heart* my KnitPicks Options and Harmony needle set and I *heart* my Addi turbos circulars. I also prefer wood straights. I do have a set of Pony Pearls DPN that are really great and my sister's SIL went to a yard sale and bought a whoel slew of knitting needles that I inhereited when she gave up on knitting, so I have a whole bunch of aluminum DPN which are nice, but I am so use to the point tios of the Knit Picks. I mainly use these only when I'm making round dishclothes, otherwise they are just pretty to look at because of all the different shiny colors. One day, when I hit the lotto, I may buy a set of those nice pointy Signature DPN, but I don't see that happening anytime soon :)
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I'm sorry can you repeat the question, we must have a bad connections. *giggle*
18. What is your favorite holiday? What winter holiday do you observe?
My favorite holidays are the 4th of July, my birthday, Christmas and New Year's Eve.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Faeries - the more gothic looking ones
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Most definitely! Check out my Ravelry profile for my pattern wants and I think I covered my yarn and needles wish above, not that I expect such exstravagant things in this swap, I am just wishing after all :)
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Just the spinning :)
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I am a sock knitter who's just a little socked out right now, which is why I'm probably on a shawl kick to knock out some of my fingering weight stash!!! I'm a size 10 ladies.
23. When is your birthday?
June 8th - a Gemini :)
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID? Pheelya
Sunday, August 5, 2007
Updated for SP14!!